Epidemiology of Platelet Transfusions in Hospitalized Children: A Pediatric Hospital Information System Database Study.

TitleEpidemiology of Platelet Transfusions in Hospitalized Children: A Pediatric Hospital Information System Database Study.
Publication TypeJournal Article
Year of Publication2023
AuthorsLang EA, An A, Finn S, Prishtina F, DeSimone RA, Nellis ME
JournalHosp Pediatr
Date Published2023 Apr 01
KeywordsBlood Transfusion, Child, Child, Hospitalized, Hospital Information Systems, Humans, Male, Platelet Transfusion, Retrospective Studies

OBJECTIVES: To describe the epidemiology and complications of platelet transfusions among hospitalized pediatric patients during 2010 to 2019.

METHODS: We performed a retrospective cohort study of hospitalized children within the Pediatric Health Information System database. Pediatric encounters receiving at least one platelet transfusion during hospitalization from 2010 to 2019 were identified. Data regarding demographics, diagnoses, procedures required during hospitalization, complications, and outcomes were extracted for eligible encounters.

RESULTS: Within the Pediatric Health Information System database, 6 284 264 hospitalizations occurred from 2010 to 2019. A total of 244 464 hospitalizations required at least one platelet transfusion, yielding a prevalence of 3.89% (95% confidence interval [CI], 3.87%-3.91%). Transfusion prevalence did not change significantly across the decade (P value = .152). Two-thirds of children receiving platelet transfusions were in their first 6 years of life, and the majority identified as male (55%). Recipients most commonly had diseases of the circulatory system (21%, 52 008 of 244 979), perinatal disorders (16%, 38 054 of 244 979), or diseases of the hematologic/immune systems (15%, 37 466 of 244 979). When adjusted for age, support by extracorporeal membrane oxygenation, mechanical ventilation, surgical intervention, and diagnostic category, the odds of thrombosis, infection, and mortality increased by 2% (odds ratio [OR], 1.02; 95% CI, 1.016-1.020), 3% (OR, 1.03; 95% CI, 1.028-1.033), and 7% (OR, 1.07; 95% CI, 1.067-1.071), respectively, with each additional transfusion.

CONCLUSIONS: The prevalence of platelet transfusions among pediatric inpatients remained consistent across the decade. Our finding that increasing numbers of transfusions may be associated with elevated morbidity and mortality is consistent with other observation and experimental studies, highlighting the need to be thoughtful in weighing risks and benefits when prescribing repeated platelet transfusions to hospitalized children.

Alternate JournalHosp Pediatr
PubMed ID36872254
Related Faculty: 
Robert DeSimone, M.D.

Pathology & Laboratory Medicine 1300 York Avenue New York, NY 10065 Phone: (212) 746-6464
Surgical Pathology: (212) 746-2700