June 1-3, 2022
Co-Hosted by the Departments of Anesthesiology and Pathology
Weill Cornell Medicine, NYC
Belfer Building, 413 East 69th Street, New York, NY 10065
The Departments of Anesthesiology and Pathology at Weill Cornell Medicine will present a 3-day Masterclass in Perioperative Bleeding Management. This a unique chance to advance patient blood management (PBM) and perioperative coagulation treatment in your institution, by creating future leaders. This program will help transform interested faculty into perioperative bleeding experts and give them the tools and knowledge to advance PBM and coagulation management in your hospital.
- Patient Blood Management
- Transfusion practice, including massive hemorrhage protocols
- Laboratory evaluation of coagulopathy
- Viscoelastic testing, including hands on workshop
- Use of coagulation factors for tailored bleeding management
- Bleeding management in trauma, ICU, post-partum, perioperative & pediatric settings
All physicians interested in registering for this course should fill out the questionnaire below so that we may identify suitable candidates with a strong interest in perioperative blood management.
How to Apply
The 2022 application period is over. Applicants will be notified about acceptance on April 15th. Please contact Jessica Misner at 212-746-6464 for questions.
This is a fully-funded immersion program, including travel, lodging and meals. As such, we have limited capacity and will conduct a brief selection process to determine Masterclass participants (total of 20). We seek to create a diverse group of participants representing a variety of hospital-types, geographic locations, and clinical fields (surgery, anesthesiology, transfusion medicine and hematology).
Successful candidates will have the following qualifications:
- A minimum of 3-5 years clinical practice after residency training
- Clinical practice in which perioperative bleeding is a frequent concern (liver transplantation, cardiac surgery, obstetrics, trauma, critical care, etc.)
- Institutional/ Departmental need for leaders in perioperative hemostasis/PBM
- Strong leadership potential
- Availability to attend and participate in all activities during the 3-day Program - June 1-3, 2022 in New York City.
- Preferred: Track record of leading process change (e.g. Successful QI project, division leader, etc.)
All application materials must be completed by April 8th, 2022. The selected participants will be notified on April 15th, 2022.
All content for this course was developed and organized by Weill Cornell Medicine. Participants are sponsored by our institution and do not receive direct funding from any industry sponsor. Continuing medical education is not provided for this course.
Scientific Steering Committee:
- Melissa Cushing, Transfusion Medicine and Clinical Laboratories, Weill Cornell Medicine, NY
- Natalia Ivascu, Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, Weill Cornell Medicine, NY
- Thorsten Haas, Pediatric Anesthesiology, Munich Municipal Hospital, Germany
- Hugh Hemmings, Chair of Anesthesiology, Weill Cornell Medicine, NY
- Scott Avecilla, Hospital for Special Surgery
- Melissa Cushing, Weill Cornell Medicine
- Rob DeSimone, Weill Cornell Medicine
- Meghann Fitzgerald, Weill Cornell Medicine
- Susan Goobie, Boston Children's Hospital
- Nicole Guinn, Duke University
- Thorsten Haas, Munich Municipal Hospital
- Natalia Ivascu, Weill Cornell Medicine
- Keyvan Karkouti, Sinai Health, Toronto
- Dan Katz, Mt. Sinai Hospital
- James LittleJohn, Weill Cornell Medicine
- Hunter Moore, University of Colorado
- Sabrina Racine, Weill Cornell Medicine
- Aryeh Shander, Englewood Hospital
- Kenichi Tanaka, University of Oklahoma
- Mark Yazer, University of Pittsburgh
Please note, hard copies of the course materials will not be offered. The course materials will be made available via email prior to the course. You will receive an email notification providing the link required to view and print the handouts. You may also opt to view the materials during the course using your electronic device.
From John F. Kennedy/LaGuardia Airports or Penn Station/Grand Central:
Taxi Cab or Uber into Manhattan: Advise the driver to take you to Cornell Club, 6 E 44th St., between Madison and 5th Avenue. NYC fares are $25 - 30 from LaGuardia and $45 - 50 from JFK.
Discounted rooms have been reserved for participants at the TBD. Once your registration has been confirmed, advise the reservations desk that you will be attending the Masterclass in Perioperative Bleeding Management from June 1-3, 2022 in order to reserve your room. A confirmation number will be immediately assigned. The special daily rate for this meeting is $TBD. Please make your reservations early before all the rooms are taken!
This course is designed for surgeons, anesthesiologists, transfusion medicine specialists, hematologists, and intensivists involved in the care of perioperative perioperative bleeding management.
A daily continental-style breakfast at 7 am will be available in the room next to the lecture hall. Coffee breaks will be provided. Lunch will be provided on June 2nd. The use of cell phones or video/audio recording during the lectures is strictly prohibited.
COVID-19 precautions recommended by the CDC at the time of the conference will be strictly adhered to by the organizers. If the course needs to be postponed out of an abundance of caution, participants selected for the course in June will have the first right of refusal for the rescheduled seminar.
Supported by an unrestricted educational grant from Octapharma.
Note: No video or audio recording will be allowed. CME will not be available for this activity.
Requests for further information should be directed to: